Since the first years of activity, the Istituto di Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte published two periodical journals, the “Bollettino del Reale Istituto di Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte” and the “Rivista dell’Istituto di Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte”, where studies and researches promoted by the Istituto were made accessible to scholars.
The first issue of the Bolletino was printed in 1922, under the direction of its founder, Corrado Ricci. In his intentions, it was to accompany and illustrate activities of the new Istituto, by means of general, methodological and bibliographical writings. Despite the sometimes inconsistent cadence, its publication lasted until 1948.
In 1929 the Bollettino was followed by the "Rivista del Reale Istituto d’Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte", especially designed to publish more comprehensive studies and researches, by means of a bigger format and a larger number of illustrations. Interrupted in 1942, publication resumed in 1952, after a break that lasted throughout the decade of Post-war reconstruction. In 1978 the adoption of a new garment and typographical format determined the peculiarities that have remained so far.
Since the late 1920s, many monographic publications of remarkable importance have been published by the Istituto, through several series which were intended to provide scholars with a complete and in-depth view of new acquisitions in the field of archaeology and history of art. Thus the series «Opere d'Arte» (since 1929), «Varia» (since 1930), «Bibliografie e Cataloghi» and «Opere inedite o rare di Storia dell'Arte» (since 1931) and later «Atti di convegni» and «Memorie e Documenti su Roma e l'Italia meridionale», were brought to life.
The Institute still cares about the publication of monographs and, above all, of the "Rivista dell'Istituto Nazionale d’Archeologia e Storia dell’Arte" (RIASA), which from over 90 years still represents one of the most rigorous and authoritative periodicals in the field of archeology and history of art.